The Phone Call Poem


You promised to call me tonight
More than a thousand miles separate us
The distance tells me you are my everything
3.00pm a burnt orange dusk prepares my heart
4.00pm I watch as the sun sets knowing I will hear your voice
5.00pm I still wait counting the minutes ticking away
6.00pm my heart has began to wobble and worry
7.00pm my arms want to reach for my phone
8.00pm I try to watch the darkness becoming thicker
9.00pm I keep my mind safe from obsessing about you
10.00pm sleep tries to clutch at my eyes as I wait
11.00pm my eyes start to mist over knowing time has passed
12.00am this nightmare suddenly wakes me up
12.01am I realize you have not called
1.00am I try to fall back to sleep with a disappointed heart
2.00am I realize you will not call
3.00am waiting for dawn with an intense desire to cry
4.00am…in the morning this phone call will not come
5.00am I drift into a troubled sleep saying goodbye to us

No comments

Post a Comment

© Chaotic Soul of a Poet
Maira Gall