When We Were Flying Kites Poem



The innocence of our smiles
The beauty of cheers
Sounding the time for play
Barefoot we ran in the sand
Toes barely touching the ground
Fingers itching to touch the morning dew
Mist not stopping our yearning to play in the morning sun
Afternoon we played loudly laughing like there is no tomorrow
Giggling at the mere sighting of a beautiful butterfly
Desiring to feel its soft wings, fly with it to the distance
Into the clouds that bring rain to feel its light tap on our little finger
Holding the reigns of the kite running against the wind
So as to lift it, help it to soar in the air
Like the wings of a bird being taken up by currents
Windy storms not stopping the flight of our kite
When we were flying our kites
The world seemed to stop, nothing moved
Except the pitter patter of feet at play
Hunger pangs were restrained
As nothing was sweeter than watching the rainbow colored kite
Soaring higher and higher
Wishing we could do the same.
 Oh the freedom
The power
And the attitude
To take off without a worry, go to distances only eagles are permitted
Airplanes are assured of Sweet aromas of fresh air
Almost like classical tunes of a new guitar being tuned
A maestro perfecting each string so that music is not lost
Whistling past, strangers stared
Our kites flew higher with each release of a block of inches, one more height
The kites began to smile, simply enjoying being on top
There I though in my mind, kites are precious
Evening approaching, the kite did not want to be brought down
“I wish to remain on top” it said
Our hearts knew it was time, time to say goodbye knowing
When we were flying kites, nothing mattered
All outside noises cut off natural beauty not lost
In the midst of all this happiness, bliss I dare say
The simplicity of it all
Refreshing memories I want to hold onto for good
Like drinking a glass of cold water on a hot sunny day
I want to go back and fly the kite like I used to
A simple life of amazement at the simplest things surreal even
I wish to fly my kite again
Years later
I still hear laughter, where we flew our kite
Joy has not left, bare feet still run about
The earth’s soil has not lost its deep red color
Moisture can still be felt dew still falls on the grass fog has descended there
Yet they still play with their kites
Chirping birds fill the air with songs so soothing it makes my heart melt
Warming a lost soul casting an orange glow on long boring nights
Uplifting tired eyes from bed causing fingers to itch with anticipation
Of the coming day ahead
Nothing as beautiful as mighty little feet joyfully running across wet grass
Knowing the world is endless beauty knows no limit
We will fly our kites again
As butterflies taste with their feet
Ours will feel the soft earth again in an effort to learn how to play great rhythms
From the secrets of the kite flyer masters
In a moment of reflection I wrote a song for my purple kite
I know I said it before
That I will not fall in love
This easily
Now it seems I am backtracking on that promise
You, you have made me to break every single wall I put around my heart
Every glass door you have broken into pieces, millions of pieces
No glue can stack them back
You have melted the very soul of my selfishness
Brevity has gone from me, disappeared completely
Gone into the dust of the air, dew of the morning
Scarlet red regrets
Navy blue tear stains
Wishful Burgundy thoughts
Burnt orange dreams
Lime green sorrows
Fuchsia fabrics of cries
Golden loneliness of evenings
Mahogany breaths
Keeping you visible
I have fallen in love again; I know my heart says so
Dreaming of you at night not compensation enough for missing your kind words
I see you
I know you 
I have loved you
A simple algorithm classified in Aristotle’s theories
Learning to know you I have done so wont you return my love?
You untie the knots in my heart each time I look at your face
Your eyes draw me towards you
Your gazes tell me I lied about never loving again
I know you are the one God kept for me, the one I have been waiting for
A sense of calm and peace hovers around my being I know I am yours
Maybe not now or tomorrow but love has no time
Forever in one day, one day is forever
Keep me in your heart until the vows are said
Another has your heart, mine is still waiting, and I saw you again
Not an iota of emotion towards you has reduced
I still see you watching, turning away
So my eyes won’t refuse to let go because I want to stay in them
I do not want to keep running from feeling again
My spirit is clouded yet I know to be so clear
Rains have come, gone, seasons do not make sense is the chase better than the prize?
I realize I did not lie when I said I would not fall in love this easily
You have simplified it yet it feels so complicated
You have been on my mind; I know you don’t know my name
But as the wind whispering in your ear I stand and watch you smell the roses
As the garden of beauty demystifies every known formula tried and tested
You have since found a place in my heart
A precious jewel, almost a miracle…yet my only miracle
The one I waited for, proving to be worth it
Legendary songs emitted from all kinds of guitars
Will be serenading the backdrop of a wonderful silhouette night sky
I want to fly my kite while the owls hoot into the night
Taking myself back to when we were flying kites 


No comments

Post a Comment

© Chaotic Soul of a Poet
Maira Gall